Saturday 14 September 2013

Where have you been?

Where have you been?

When chatting about travel, that's one of the most common questions asked.  It's an easy way to judge the interests of the person you're travelling with.  At the same time, you can establish common interests and areas to continue the conversation (or not!).  It's a great question in the beginning, but as you travel more you sometimes want the question to become "where haven't you been?"

No one ever asks that one.

A map can serve as a bit of a solution.  Save the picture on your phone, and you can flash it up on request.  The conversation flows from there, starting first and foremost with "cool map!"

Here is a website that specializes in helping you create your own map, free of charge of course:

I've added mine below.  Proof that I really do need to see more of Africa!



4 comments:

  1. Great! Thanks for the link.
    but then my question is when do I tick off a country when it is as huge as Canada or the states or Australia?
    For example in Australia I have seen plenty so ok.
    But in Canada I have just been to the Niagara Falls so far...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valid point. I've been to St. Petersburg, but the map shows I've been to all of Russia. I wish!

      There are several websites out there that allow you to place pins in the cities you've been to. These are great options for people who are very patient. There are also websites available that allow you to map out a trip. I'll have to explore these in a future post, as I have a few I like!

      ps: you should come see more of Canada!

      Delete
  2. Yes you do! Have you been to Victoria Falls? I want to do a little spa travel there! I hear I can get a massage by the river with hippos nearby! What a unique spa treatment! The hotel is The Livingston (I presume)!

    Your blog is off to a grand start! I told you that you have the makings of a perfect travel blogger! Congrats!

    Ava Roxanne
    Spa Travel Gal
    @SpaTravelGal
    www.SpaTravelGal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ava!

      I visited Victoria Falls in 2006. Incredible, impressive, rainbows everywhere you looked and wooden bridges that made the scenery appear out of the mist like on a movie set.

      I stayed at the Victoria Falls Hotel in Zimbabwe, which had warthogs strolling across the grounds and views of the mist from the falls in the distance. The servers at the restaurants dressed in tuxedos and the feeling was very exclusive. Unfortunately I didn't have time to visit a spa while I was there, but I bet it would be just as impressive as the rest of the hotel (you're kidding about the hippos, right???).

      By way of a recommendation, try out a day trip to Chobe Park in Botswana. Definitely worth the effort and expense!

      Glad you like the blog! Coming from a seasoned pro, that means a lot!

      Delete