Friday 20 September 2013

Pulling the trigger

Sometimes the hardest thing about traveling is making the choice to go.

In university I had a friend I use to go to coffee with.  We would grab our tall, nonfat, extra hot, half sweet caramel macchiatos and sit at one of those wooden tables that seem to be standard on most campuses.  We'd drag our books out like we planned to study, then chat for the next hour about our aspirations, philosophical inclinations, and romantic leanings.  Occassionally we would also stray onto the topic of travel.  As it turned out, I was just planning my first trips to Europe and so was she.

My friend's dream was a trip to Scotland.  Her family had immigrated to Canada from there generations back and she wanted to see where it had all began.  She spoke of driving across the highlands, of visiting churches and graveyards, of stopping for a pint at a local pub, and really coming to terms with who she was.  Her plan was to save the money through university, then travel when she graduated.

She never went.

I think of her story as a tragedy, and it's one that is surprisingly common.  In many ways we look at travel as an investment, something that is hugely expensive and needs careful planning.  There are bookings to be made, routes to be planned, sites to visit (or not!), foods to try, and a million other choices.  Do you take a taxi to the airport or park in a lot?  If you park, which lot do you chose?  Does the country your visiting need a visa to enter?  Can you get it on arrival?  Do you need a letter of invitation?  Are there any medications you need to consider before flying?

The list goes on and on.

Perhaps it's because the list is so long or the investment so large, but we humans often have trouble pulling the trigger.

So for those of you out there who are challenged, let me tell you a secret: I can't count the number of times I've sat at my computer late at night with a ticket in front of me.  The lamps are on but my eyes are tired.  I've been looking at options for too long and I can feel the burden of my choice heavy on my shoulders.  The price tag is painful, but I can't stop.  With a deep breath, I close my eyes and click "Confirm".

That's right.  Even after booking countless flights, I still close my eyes and look away when I pull the trigger.  I still have the anxiety associated with the purchase, the doubts that what I'm doing is right, the uncertainty.  But the difference between my long ago friend and I is that final step, the commitment.

I think one day I'll look back on my life and consider my regrets.  When I do that, I'm sure that what I will regret most are the things I didn't do, not the things I did.  It doesn't make the choice any easier.  I'm still scared I'm making a mistake, but that's alright.

Travel is like that.  It's a commitment, it's a bit scary, it asks a lot of you, and it's entirely worthwhile.

So the next time you'resitting looking at a flight and you see a way to get halfway around the world for less than $1,000 CAD, don't think about it too much.  Instead, pull the trigger and see what happens.  I doubt you'll regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment